Business Resources

NNDA Business Support

NNDA’s primary focus is on economic development in northern Nevada, and we've provided some helpful links below to help you grow your business here. If you would like more information or to speak with someone in person, please contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call (775) 883-4413.
NNDA has a rapidly growing group of volunteers actively involved in taking the pulse of our business community.  If you are interested in participating in this exciting opportunity, contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call (775) 883-4413

Business License and Taxation Requirements

Each person, corporation, partnership, proprietorship, business association and any other similar organization that conducts an activity for profit needs a STATE business license, as well as anyone taking part in a trade show in Nevada for business purposes. Detailed information on the state business license application process and taxation rates can be found at the Nevada Department of Taxation. Visit Nevada Secretary of State's website for additional links and information. You may also contact the Bureau of Air Pollution Control for air quality applications and permitting.

Local Business License Offices

In addition to the state business license, a local business license is required to operate a business in nearly all cities, most counties, and many other locations in Nevada. The Nevada Business Registration Form is available from the Nevada Department of Taxation, or you may contact one of the local government offices listed below:

Employer Identification Number

Every partnership or corporation must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to use as its taxpayer number. Sole proprietors must also have an EIN if they pay wages to one or more employees or if they are required to file any excise tax returns. For more information, visit Internal Revenue Service Employer Identification Number.

Business Personal Property Declaration Form

Nevada tax laws require all persons, firms, or businesses owning, renting, leasing, or controlling business personal property to file a Business Personal Property Declaration Form.  Please contact your city or county government office for more information.

Workman's Compensation Insurance

Every business that employs one or more employees must obtain workers compensation insurance coverage, unless that entity is certified by the Commissioner of Insurance as a self-insured employer. For more information, visit State of Nevada Department of Business and Industry Division of Insurance.

Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program

Any business that employs one or more employees is an "employing unit" and must register with the Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program. Registration is made by submitting a Nevada Business Registration Form to the employment security division as soon as workers are hired. For more information, visit Employment Security Division.

I-9 Forms for New Employees

Every employer is required, within 72 hours of hiring a new employee, to maintain a completed, signed, witnessed, and dated I-9 Form for each employee. For more information, visit Immigration & Naturalization Service.

W-4 Forms

Every employee hired must complete a W-4 Form, so the employer can withhold the proper amount of income tax from each paycheck. Any change in the employee's tax status requires a new form. For more information, visit the Internal Revenue Service. To receive "Your Business Tax Kit" call 1-800-TAX-FORM.